Veneers are essentially porcelain or plastic shells that are permanently bonded to the front of your existing teeth to enhance the color or shape of a tooth – and even close gaps between teeth. They are used to hide broken, chipped, misaligned, or discolored teeth. The shells can be made of composite material such as resin or even porcelain. Dental veneers can be customized to fit the shape of the individual tooth, are just as strong as your real teeth, and will feel just as if they were your own.
What Are Veneers Made Of?
Veneers are generally made up of either resin, plastic, or porcelain. Porcelain veneers are most commonly used as they are more strong, durable, brittle, and life-like. They are engineered by technicians into shapes that are most suited to the teeth. They are cemented to the teeth with the help of resins. And the best part is, it is a pain-free procedure.
What Is the Procedure for Getting a Veneer?
Getting a veneer would initially take you two appointments because the veneer will need to be custom made.
- The first step is the dentist will take a good look at the teeth and decide how much of the enamel needs to be removed for placing the veneers. Administering anesthesia is optional, depending on how much of the procedure the patient can tolerate.
- Dentists will then take an impression of the existing tooth with the health diagnostic tools. Until the permanent veneers are placed, a temporary veneer will be placed onto the teeth.
- Once the permanent veneers are ready at the lab, the temporary veneer will be removed. The teeth will be rinsed and cleaned before applying adhesives to place the permanent veneer above it.
- The veneer will be cemented into place and any excess material will be removed.
What Are the Benefits of Veneers?
Veneers can help you have the smile that you always dreamt of. As veneers are known for their stain-free nature, they are proven to be a great solution to discolored teeth. Veneers can help to cover broken, chipped, and misaligned teeth, giving you that perfect smile.
How Can One Take Care of Their Veneers?
After having veneers placed, it is important to maintain them through proper care. We recommend you follow the instructions below to ensure that your smile stays beautiful and sparkling.
- Use non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste because they are gentle on the teeth.
- Avoid caffeine items such as tea and coffee.
- Daily brush and floss your teeth to ensure that your teeth remain healthy and clean.